Monday, August 11, 2008

santa monica (part 3) post mortem


EDIT: images and captions added 8/12/08



^ The old carousel on the pier is pretty much the first attraction you encounter. Absolutely exquisite, this indoor work of art must be fecund with memories of many, many little kids beaming many, many huge smiles and laughter at Mom and Dad, who were most likely too busy taking pics or video of such moments. I would've loved to have my little nieces and nephews with me to ride this, especially my grandniece.

Uploaded by www.cellspin.net

^ Post mortem report from an exhausted alien.

< When I arrived in Santa Monica I first did some banking, then sought out a chain called Panera Bread, as they give excellent grilled panini sandwiches and, natch, free wifi. (always a great thing to offer geeks and space aliens). After lunch I found the sweet shop I used to go to years back and stocked up, then headed towards the pier. The air was noticeably a bit humid compared to the valley, the smell of salt greeted my nose, and the slightly cooler air prompted me to walk more on the sunny sides of the street. Approaching the pier on a long stretch of park on Ocean Avenue afforded me a panoramic view of the soft blue horizon framed by sand and sky. I had the foresight to sightsee on a weekday so to avoid the huge crowds on Saturdays and Sundays. There were still many people, however, comprised mostly of tourists and kids on summer vacation. If you ever find yourself here on a summer day, listen closely to them talking, you'll discern lots of different languages and accents. I heard British, French, German, and what sounded like Portuguese. There were many Brits and I suspect a bunch of them to be expats living here by the sun kissed ocean, a far, far cry from the cold, wet and miserably grey London climes. There is actually a pub here in Santa Monica, called Ye Old King's Head that I passed by enroute to the pier. I've known about it for years but haven't yet actually gone thereto eat and have a pint. I'm thinking to take my nieces there next time they come down from the bay area to visit. I could do with a frosty pint of ale and a nice cottage pie, or fish and chips, and then pudding for dessert.

^ I wished my nephew R were with me. Like me he's a big video game whore (especially for racing games, his favourite) and as such would've spent too many quarters. This is the Playland Arcade on the pier, (right by the carousel house) and it's crowded with all kinds electronic and mechanical contraptions meant to suck away your time and coin. Looks like skee ball and shooting hoops are still the top draw in this kind of place, with a special counter full of prizes to claim if you win. I wasn't interested in trying my luck (or lack of skill, that is) but I did love passing through.

> Remember that scene in the Tom Hanks movie, Big? I swear, Zoltar seems like he was giving me the sideways eye as I took this pic. Sorry, sir, I don't need what Josh wished for in that movie, considering I'm fine how I am, having never grown up inside.

Below, left to right: The 'flying rats'
of Santa Monica Pier. I finally reached the very tip of the pier (check here) and was greeted by lovely flying rats. K. wrote me and stated: "...pigeons were historically seen as great animals, nowadays since they are overpopulating they are seen as pests (Book Pays Tribute to the Much Maligned Pigeon | NPR)." Rat shit on the wooden steps. I wonder, if we fed them food coloured scraps would the entire pier look nice and pretty covered in rainbow coloured shit? The viewing room was empty. Most everyone wanted to be below and outside. I would love to own a house by the ocean and have this view always. I went up the shit covered stairs and into this room to snap the pic and record the audio blog.



< Final image. No, I'm no longer in Santa Monica. This is the great hall in Union Station in downtown L.A. where the #10 express blue bus dropped me off enroute home. I was insanely exhausted but had to snap the pic because it's a damn handsome space. There's another fine hall at the far end but it's closed off and they only use it to rent out for shooting movies and possibly hosting big parties and events. After taking this pic I managed to crawl up to the Gold Line light rail platform for the 15 minute ride going home, playing me some Jeanne d'Arc on my PSP while waiting for the train.

What's your take on Santa Monica? Ever been there? Wanna go? Share your thoughts by hitting the 'Responses' link below.

Related:
Santa Monica | Wikipedia

santa monica (part 1) | a space alien
santa monica (part 2) | a space alien

No comments: