Sunday, July 27, 2008

Jeanne d'Arc







In some ways I'm not exactly sure why I'm so enamoured with Jeanne d'Arc, a Japanese role playing game I'm currently playing on my PSP. I know that I very much like how pretty it looks, how it plays essentially like a game of chess. I know I that like how the story unfolds and how well integrated it is with the actual gameplay.

I also like the source material; it was inspired by the historical Joan of Arc, who as a teenager from a rural village stood up to help defend her country of France against the advancing English forces during the 15th century as, in her claims, God told her to do. She was eventually captured, accused of being a heretic and subsequently burned at the stake by the English, declared a martyr by the Catholic Church, and in 1920 was finally canonized. The Japanese developers reconceived the story to feature fantasy elements usually found in western style RPGs - magic, beasts, powerful weapons, amulets, and gems.

I think that in the end I'm thoroughly engrossed in the game at the moment because all the necessary elements are so well orchestrated and balanced and presented. And isn't that what matters after all?



1 comment:

em2histbuff33 said...

Here is a much better source than wikipedia if you want to learn more about the life of Joan of Arc - MaidofHeaven.com