Friday, December 17, 2010

i am my new home




Amazing how lighting three little candles can be a gesture of such fecundity. Staying the weekend at my sister's in northern Illinois. Outside it's frigid and white. Inside I'm protected and inspired by familial love. I am my new home.

Chicago. I'm here. Finally. I've moved back to where I grew up, where I was educated, where I was cultured.

Pragmatically it's in hopes of finding a job. Millions of us Americans are suffering for lack of it, for lack of a life. It was hard in Los Angeles for me despite living comfortably, surrounded by love of family, always well fed. But again I felt I was in limbo there. I had merely had a shell of a life.

It all begins with a job, a sense of independence, of owning one's life. But considering how many moronic and insular people in power, in government, have ruined things for the rest of us this looks to be a far more difficult struggle than it has ever been for me and many others in my situation.

I've survived - and championed - great and painful gauntlets in my life before. Perhaps that's why I don't feel as intimidated today. It also has to do with being lucky to have a very close knit family and a strong network of friends to help me, encourage me.

My gratitude to you all is bottomless. My heart glows and trembles with warmth, like the three votive candles I've lighted, keeping me company as I tap out this passage on my laptop on the kitchen table.

So begins a new adventure.


No comments: