Thursday, January 14, 2010

haiti






Let It Be Me | Ray LaMontagne

There may come a time, a time in everyone's life
where nothin' seems to go your way
where nothin' seems to turn out right
there may come a time, you just can't seem to find your way
for every door you walk on to, seems like they get slammed in your face

that's when you need someone, someone that you can call
and when all your faith is gone
feels like you cant go on

let it be me
let it be me
if it's a friend that you need
let it be me
let it be me

feels like your always comin' on home
pockets full of nothin' and you got no cash
no matter where you turn you ain't got no place to stand
reach out for something and they slap your hand
now, i remember all to well
just how it feels to be all alone
you feel like you'd give anything
for just a little place you can call your own

that's when you need someone, someone that you can call
and when all your faith is gone
feels like you cant go on

let it be me
let it be me
if it's a friend you need
let it be me
let it be me
.

Disorder Adds to Misery in Reeling Haiti; Red Cross Says Death Toll May Be 50,000 | The New York Times

Tears welled up in my eyes, my voice choking trying to sing along, as I typed in my information to send what little money I could to them. We were advised by the authorities to not donate food, clothing, and shoes because those en masse would only clog up the already bottlenecked system towards our unfortunate friends, in the poorest country in the Western Hemisphere.

I intently avoided reading and listening to too much news lest I break down and cry, though I knew that the reported death toll could reach or top 50,000, so many of them children. Because of Haiti's low economy the infrastructure, the buildings, homes, and general construction of her towns and villages is rather frail at best. Her people were largely unprepared for something this catastrophic, the government had limited resources, and everything combined created the perfect tragedy to happen.

And it happened.

I donated to Doctors Without Borders, but there are many other organizations that need our help. Please show that you care (make sure the site of the organization you give to is legitimate and secure; many of them out there are fake and will commit ID theft with your information; watch out for scams).


No comments: